Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 15/16

Not much happened on day 15.

Day 16 was a bit different. For the past couple of days I've been hearing the screech of several raptors. Today I finally spotted them in some Eucalyptus. So I ran inside and grabbed a cheap lens to see if I could capture one of them.

Well, I did.

Day 16

While identifiable, the cheap ass lens sure shows how bad it is. No detail. Soft focus. It is so true that you get what you pay for.

The lens is a Quantaray 70-300mm macro. I got it for $130. It was advertised as a Sigma. So I took the chance. I guess a Quantaray is a Sigma. But it sure is the cheap end. Later I learned that Sigma sells rejects as Quantaray. Live and learn. This lesson is well learned ;)

And I do hope that someone can tell me what the bird is. I'm pretty bad at bird identification.

Note: this is the last photo in July

2 comments:

Genthar said...

Yeah, Quantaray lenses are terrible. As you said, they're rebranded Sigma lenses. One of the reasons I also avoid Sigma lenses.

As for the bird. I would hazard a guess that it's a Cooper's Hawk or a Red-Tailed Hawk. I'm not very good at birding either. Easy way to tell is to check the other side of the tail. If it's red/maroon, it's a Red-Tail...if it's patterned in the same mottled brown/tan pattern, it's probably a Cooper's. Both are relatively common to the SD area.

Bob said...

I'm not so sure about it being a hawk. The wings are a bit too pointed.

Guess I should find my copy of Sibley's :)